The Youth Peer Services Advisory Council is made up of youth, young adults, Youth Peer Advocates, and adult allies across the state who have personal experience young person with a disability, emotional & behavioral challenges, or experience in New York State systems such as mental health, special education, juvenile justice, foster care, or addiction recovery.
Our Mission: To utilize our personal lived experience and training to promote voice and choice for young people to be actively engaged in their own services and the service delivery system. We do this by ensuring the integrity of Youth Peer Advocate (YPA) services for young people by the young adults who once received services themselves.The Youth Peer Services Advisory Council (YPSAC) is responsible for:
- Overseeing and advising on the training and credentialing of YPAs;
- Provide secondary reviews of credential applications when necessary;
- Act as a sanctioning body for individual violations of the YPA Code Of Ethics;
- Advise and review training relevant to YPA Credentialing, and continued education;
- Advise on the development of supervisor and service team training to support implementation of Youth Peer Support Services.
How you can get involved: To join you must send us a letter of interest and resume. Once we review your letter, we will contact you and set up a phone interview.
Your letter must be sent to:
Mail: Azaria Georger, YOUTH POWER!
320 North Goodman Street, Suite 202
Rochester, NY 14607
Your letter should include your name, address, phone number & email.
It should also address the following questions:
- Why you want to be on the council.
- What your experience is in relation to the Youth Peer Advocate role.
- How much time you can commit to YPSAC meetings and tasks