What is the Youth Peer Advocate Training?
The Youth Peer Advocate Training introduces new YPAs to their role and to the skills they will need to effectively engage and empower young people. This training includes self-paced online modules, a multi-day, “live” training, and a series of coaching phone calls.
Who Should Participate in the Youth Peer Advocate Training?
Those who meet the qualifications to be a Youth Peer Advocate are eligible to participate in the training. A Youth Peer Advocate is someone 18-30 years old who self-identifies as a person who has first-hand experience with social, emotional, medical, developmental, substance use, and/or behavioral challenges. Youth Peer Advocates must be able to use their lived experience with a disability, mental health challenge , substance use disorder, and experience in New York State systems such as juvenile justice, special education, and/or foster care to assist in supporting young people in their resiliency/recovery and wellness.
How Do I Access the Youth Peer Advocate Training?
When you click the button below you will be redirected to the Self-Learning Center hosted by our partners from the Community Technical Assistance Center of New York (CTAC). This is where you will access the online training modules.
More information about each level of YPA Training is available in the menus below.
CLICK HERE for a ‘Getting Started’ guide.
Access Code to enroll in the training: YPATraining
YPA Level 1 Online Training
Choose this pathway if…
- You are 18-30 years old and self-identify as a person who has first-hand experience with social, emotional, medical, developmental, substance use, and/or behavioral challenges.
- You already have a job as a YPA or if you might be interested in becoming a YPA in the future.
- CTAC Self-Learning Center: https://lms.ctacny.org/
Below is a preview of topics covered in the YPA Level 1 Online Training. Each module takes approximately 45 minutes to an hour to complete.
Introduction to the Youth Peer Advocate Service
Developing Self Efficacy Skills
Small Group Facilitation
Navigating the System
Documenting Your Work
YPA Level 2 Online Training
Choose this pathway if….
- You have completed the YPA Level 1 Online Training.
- Access will be automatically granted upon completion of the Level 1 post-training self-efficacy questionnaire and post-training knowledge survey.
Below is a preview of topics covered in the YPA Level 2 Online Training. Each module takes approximately 45 minutes to an hour to complete.
Working Across Systems
Part 1 Service Systems
Part 2 Service Systems
Education into Career
Understanding Marginalized Populations
YPA Level 2 In-Person/Virtual Training
Continue with this pathway if…
- You hold a current YPA Provisional Credential; and,
- You have completed ALL of the Level 1 and Level 2 online modules; and,
- You are currently providing services that fill within the role of a YPA (employed or formal volunteer); and,
- You are available to participate in the full training along with weekly coaching calls (schedule TBD).
Availability is limited to the first 12-16 eligible registrants. If you do not yet meet training requirements, your registration will be cancelled.
SUMMER 2022 OFFERINGS
Thursday, May 26, 2022
1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
Thursday-Friday, June 2-3, 2022 and
Monday-Tuesday, June 6-7, 2022
12:00 PM to 4:00 PM each day
Register here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YPAJune2022
Questions? Contact the Workforce Development Department at YPACredential@FTNYS.org